Skip to main content

Couponing: Getting Better at it!

I blogged about cutting coupons recently because I was not sure what to write about that day, so I wrote about my trip to the store with coupons. It remains one of my most popular posts and I have actually had people request to see more examples of my trips to the store.

I am still far from being a pro but I really need to cut back on my spending somewhere so I am going to keep couponing. I figure I will only get better and maybe one day I will walk out of the store with a free item or a CRAZY amount of food (like $500 worth) for under $10 bucks. Wouldn’t that be awesome, wish me luck.
Here is what I got a Raley’s this weekend:
When Chris asked for Fruit Loops, I quickly remembered that Raley’s had the boxes for $1.99 and that I had a coupon. How did I know? I was looking through my ads saturday night. I know how sad.
Note: The boys are only allowed to eat cereal on the weekends and we were out so I was going to have to purchase cereal anyways.


I only paid $6.96 for three boxes of cereal and one box of pop tarts. This was a 59% savings. This is higher than the last time i took a trip to the store with coupons.
The mail cashier said, “This is an awesome deal.” I then handed over the manufactures coupon I got online and he said, “And with a coupon even better!” I was impressed with myself too.
At Safeway:
I got all this for $21.79. In case you can't tell there are 5 boxes of toaster strudel, 3 boxes of trix yogart 2 sunny d's, 2 boxes of eggs and one 3 lb bag of apples.
I was a little disappointed when I looked at my savings it was only 45%. However, I saved $18.06 with my club card, paper coupons and just for you e-coupons. So this is still pretty good.
I think my savings percentage was not as high because I kind of messed up. I planned to only buy three boxes of toaster strudel. I added on two more at the last minute because I figured that if I did, they would last me about 2-3 months. I should have stuck with my original plan to buy three.  Then come back when I printed another manufactures coupon that could be added to the in store discount. Nevertheless, I still did pretty well.
I did a separate purchase at Safeway because I forgot to put this cereal pictured below on the conveyor belt with the rest of my stuff. It worked out because I was able to see how much I saved on this cereal. I did not have a coupon for this purchase but $1.88 is a great price for cereal so I bought four. I am starting a stockpile.
Much to my surprise, this $9.64 purchase resulted in a Catalina coupon for $3.00 toward my next vist. When I pass by Safeway again, I will pick up a few more boxes. That future purchase should be one that results in a high discount percentage since I plan to go back while the cereal is still $1.88.
I am still not an extreme couponer yet but I am saving money and that’s a pretty good deal!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Francisco in a Day

I have loved San Francisco ever since I was a kid. I love the cool air, the ocean-side views, the food, the stores, the many different and unique neighborhoods and so much more.   I especially love walking around pier 39. This is usually where I go when I hit the city.   The smell of the salt water, fish, clam chowder and the freshly baked sour dough bread that does not taste better anywhere else on earth makes my heart skip a beat. I make the short drive over to the city by the bay every chance I get. Luckily my not so little anymore cousin loves San Francisco just as much as I do.   When deciding what to do with our one full day together this past Monday, there was only one choice! This trip did not go as smoothly as all of my other trips to San Francisco but it was still fun and totally worth it. Traffic was crazy so we decided to take the Bart part of the way in. We had to try two different Bart stations and three different parking lots before we were able to find a spot to

Merry Christmas: Journey to milfhoods weight loss Challenge Finale

Merry Christmas! I hope you all had a great time with family and friends. Today was the big day all the girls in this challenge were working towards. It has been great having people to do this with. It was the motivation i needed. My ultimate goal is to lose 33 lbs! I will be at me goal weight if i lose this much. Did i lose 33 lbs????????????????? Nope! But you knew that right. I did lose 10 pounds for Christmas. I am pretty happy about that! I am going to keep going. Right now  I am just trying to maintain through New Years. Then set a new short term goal. 10 pounds at a time seems to Work well for me!! Here is a before pic...it was actually a week or two into my challenge.   After to follow. I took one but it is at work...i got busy on Christmas eve and forgot to email it to myself. Oops. Enjoy your loved ones a little more today.

It's a "Do the best you can with what you got!" kind of Christmas!!

I have been a very bad girl this year and have not posted in weeks!!! I will post Christmas day for my big " Journey to Milfhood's weight-loss challenge " reveal with a before and after photo. You can find out on Tuesday if I meet my goal or not. Life continues to be cRaZy but good. I am blessed to be in one piece, to have my gorgeous sons and to have a job that is sometimes hectic but always fun and rewarding. Chris asked for a BIG ticket item this year....a LAPTOP. At first he wanted an ipad but then he decided a good laptop, with windows 8 of course, would be better so he could use it for homework as well as gaming. This would put a pretty big dent in my Christmas budget!!I do not charge things for Christmas. I figure if I cannot pay cash for it, I cannot afford it. I started this at about 25 because I did not want to be $40,000 in debt like many in the baby boomer generation. It works well for me because it also helps me prioritize and budget well for the holida