Skip to main content

Birds of a feather flock togather: Helping teens pick good friends

As a kid I always remember my parent’s saying “Birds of a feather flock together” or “If your friends jump off a cliff are you going to do it?” I dreaded these conversations.  I would never jump off a cliff unless there was water underneath it, I am not an idiot! I am not sure what they said after these opening clichés because I think I just tuned them out. I’m sure it was a bunch of great stuff, my parents are pretty awesome but again, I didn’t hear it.
I do however remember them talking to me about the importance of picking “good” friends, which is what I think they were trying to get at with those terrible clichés. Many adults in my parent’s generation emphasized the importance of hanging out with kids from “good families”. Back then a good family was a Mom, a Dad and kids from those same two parents that went to church.  

As an older child and teeneager I can remember adults around me whispering “they got divorced” or “those aren’t really his kids that’s why they are so bad”.  I don't know why this stuck out to me at a young age. Maybe it was becasue I had a few friends who had divorced parents and they didn't seem so bad.

Divorce was blamed for all things bad. Kids from “broken” homes were the ones who got into fights, stole, drank, had sex and got thrown in to jail or so they said.

I always think about this when talking to my kids about picking good friends.  It makes me a little uncomfortable and sometimes sad. My kids are the “bad” kids. They have no father, a busy single mom and know what life after the D word (DIVORCE) is like.


Teaching the boys about friends
Often we rely on what our parents taught us when raising our own kids. The stuff we like we keep the stuff we don’t like as much we dump or adapt.  

As a single parent it has been especially hard for me to rely on the advice I got from my parent’s as a guide on a few topics like picking friends. After all, my kids are the “troubled kids” from a “broken home.” The old pick "good kids" from "good families" doesn't really work for us, mainly because of what it implies about kids who aren't from good families.
So what advice have I decided to give my kids?
  • Pick friends who make good choices
  • Find people who accept you for who you are
  • Don’t hang out with people who make you do things you don’t want to do or know is wrong
  • Find people who respect you as a person and show them respect back
  • Stand up for your friends and expect them to do the same for you
  • Hang out with people who have similar interests and goals (stay in school, go to college, religious beliefs)
  • A few good friends are better than a bunch of phony ones
Does my advice work? I don’t know, I hope so. I will tell you what I do know. My kids are awesome and so are their friends.
This weekend I had a house full of 5 teenage boys. They were all polite, respectful and funny. I heard no cursing all weekend. We sat at the table and ate 2 meals together. They played video games, talked about anime, talked about what it would be like if their life was a horror movie (you know who dies first) and a bunch of other crazy boy stuff. They also talked about going to college together. No talk of sex or drugs. This is not just because I was in the room. I ease dropped and even behind closed doors the boys we just having fun and being boys, good boys not trouble making perverts. They did talk about a few girls they have crushes on a few times but not in a disrespectful way.

Your Teens Friends
Friends can influence your teens in a major way. They can help keep your kid out of trouble by providing positive peer pressure or pull them over to the dark side. Talking to you kids about picking good friends early is crucial.
I think it is also important to talk to your kids friends. I have great relationships with the boys friends. Sometimes they can talk to me about stuff they don't tell their own Mom's. Nothing major here, mostly just conversations about Mom's new boyfiend or new husband and the adjusting that has to happen. I get to know them a little better and I think they feel a little more accountable to me.  
When the boys and their friends walk in the door after school on a day I am home they can expect me to ask them ALL about their homework or their grades. I think they kind of like it. They know I care about them too. I believe this makes them feel comfortable at our house because they come over often, which is great! Having a house full of extra kids great may be a little more work at meal times but I know where they all are and I know they are all safe!!

While I do care about the boys friends what I really want to do is create a safe, comfortable enviornment for my boys. This means welcoming friends even when I don't feel like it and helping them pick and keep good friends around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Francisco in a Day

I have loved San Francisco ever since I was a kid. I love the cool air, the ocean-side views, the food, the stores, the many different and unique neighborhoods and so much more.   I especially love walking around pier 39. This is usually where I go when I hit the city.   The smell of the salt water, fish, clam chowder and the freshly baked sour dough bread that does not taste better anywhere else on earth makes my heart skip a beat. I make the short drive over to the city by the bay every chance I get. Luckily my not so little anymore cousin loves San Francisco just as much as I do.   When deciding what to do with our one full day together this past Monday, there was only one choice! This trip did not go as smoothly as all of my other trips to San Francisco but it was still fun and totally worth it. Traffic was crazy so we decided to take the Bart part of the way in. We had to try two different Bart stations and three different parking lots before we were able to find a spot to

Weight Loss Challenge: Week EIGHT UPDATE

For the third week in a row I have maintained my 9 pound weight-loss . This would be great if I only wanted to lose 9 pounds. The good thing here is that my daily activity and food intake are good enough to balance and maintain any additional weight-loss which means I have established some good habits. I am keeping my calories at a reasonable amount and my intake though out the day is pretty balanced. Here are some of my typical breakfast recipes . Natures Path Organic Instant oatmeal with 1 tsp. Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Hot Cocoa= 254 Calories I was not too hungry this morning and when I wanted to eat more a few hours later I had a banana. You could easily add fruit, milk or juice to beef up this breakfast. Shakes and smoothies are a staple in my diet. They are yummy and quick!!! Here are two different recipes I use regularly: 1 cup of Almond Milk 2 scoops Visalus Shake mix (I think any protein powder will do) 1/4 cup Mixed berries (sometimes I do as much

Merry Christmas: Journey to milfhoods weight loss Challenge Finale

Merry Christmas! I hope you all had a great time with family and friends. Today was the big day all the girls in this challenge were working towards. It has been great having people to do this with. It was the motivation i needed. My ultimate goal is to lose 33 lbs! I will be at me goal weight if i lose this much. Did i lose 33 lbs????????????????? Nope! But you knew that right. I did lose 10 pounds for Christmas. I am pretty happy about that! I am going to keep going. Right now  I am just trying to maintain through New Years. Then set a new short term goal. 10 pounds at a time seems to Work well for me!! Here is a before pic...it was actually a week or two into my challenge.   After to follow. I took one but it is at work...i got busy on Christmas eve and forgot to email it to myself. Oops. Enjoy your loved ones a little more today.