Skip to main content

The highlight of my weekend: Cassava Leaves

I’m not sure if I would really call this the highlight of my weekend but it was definitely cool and unexpected.

I drove to Patterson to pick up my son who was spending the night at his best friend’s house. His friend used to live down the street and we all got to spend lots of time with him. His mom remarried and now they live about 45 minutes away. The boys miss each other more than 14-year-old boys would like to admit, so I made a commitment to drive to Patterson once a month so they could hand out.

When I went to pick up my son, his Mom took me to her friend’s house. I did not know until we got there that I would be working. The friend is from Africa and once a year she goes to the flea market about 30 minutes away from where they live to purchase one year’s worth of cassava leaves. Apparently, it is a staple in many African dishes.

This is only one of the four boxes. And we already took some out before I took this picture.


We picked the leaves off and I had to pull of any tiny dead leaves in the middle. I guess they are bitter. This branch "bleed" when I did that.

 See the box in the background on the left? Those are the picked leaves.


The coolest thing about this whole event was that after a few minutes it was just me and an 80 something year old Cambodian man (grandpa) on my left and a late 80 something year old African women(grandma) on my right, both of whom did not speak a word of English. They were also kicking my butt at this picking leaves thing. It took me awhile to catch on.

Grandpa was hustling and quickly caught on to the technique of efficiently picking the cassava leafs. He probably did about 5 bundles for every one bundle I did.

What did he do differently than me? Well after some time I realized that, he and grandma had been communicating all along. I stopped and watched them. He watched how she picked the leaves. Then he would do the same. She would look at him, smile and shake her bundle, in approval I guess. Occasionally he would get ahead of himself throw something in that still had a bitter part. She always caught it and signaled him. He got her signal, corrected the situation and then got back to work.

I had never stopped to watch her once or try to communicate with her because we did not speak the same language. I was wrong. I could have learned from her and had a much easier time at my task. The funny thing is, she did not watch me the way she watched grandpa. She did not give me any signals or feedback. Why? Maybe she knew I was not paying attention. Maybe she did and I didn't notice. Who knows? Nevertheless, I did learn a little something about myself. I am too quick to assume I cannot communicate with someone because we "don't speak the same language." I am not going to do that anymore.  

Oh yeah: Cassava leaves are poisonous before cooked so don't lick the sap or try to bite them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Francisco in a Day

I have loved San Francisco ever since I was a kid. I love the cool air, the ocean-side views, the food, the stores, the many different and unique neighborhoods and so much more.   I especially love walking around pier 39. This is usually where I go when I hit the city.   The smell of the salt water, fish, clam chowder and the freshly baked sour dough bread that does not taste better anywhere else on earth makes my heart skip a beat. I make the short drive over to the city by the bay every chance I get. Luckily my not so little anymore cousin loves San Francisco just as much as I do.   When deciding what to do with our one full day together this past Monday, there was only one choice! This trip did not go as smoothly as all of my other trips to San Francisco but it was still fun and totally worth it. Traffic was crazy so we decided to take the Bart part of the way in. We had to try two different Bart stations and three different parking lots before we were able to find a spot to

Merry Christmas: Journey to milfhoods weight loss Challenge Finale

Merry Christmas! I hope you all had a great time with family and friends. Today was the big day all the girls in this challenge were working towards. It has been great having people to do this with. It was the motivation i needed. My ultimate goal is to lose 33 lbs! I will be at me goal weight if i lose this much. Did i lose 33 lbs????????????????? Nope! But you knew that right. I did lose 10 pounds for Christmas. I am pretty happy about that! I am going to keep going. Right now  I am just trying to maintain through New Years. Then set a new short term goal. 10 pounds at a time seems to Work well for me!! Here is a before pic...it was actually a week or two into my challenge.   After to follow. I took one but it is at work...i got busy on Christmas eve and forgot to email it to myself. Oops. Enjoy your loved ones a little more today.

It's a "Do the best you can with what you got!" kind of Christmas!!

I have been a very bad girl this year and have not posted in weeks!!! I will post Christmas day for my big " Journey to Milfhood's weight-loss challenge " reveal with a before and after photo. You can find out on Tuesday if I meet my goal or not. Life continues to be cRaZy but good. I am blessed to be in one piece, to have my gorgeous sons and to have a job that is sometimes hectic but always fun and rewarding. Chris asked for a BIG ticket item this year....a LAPTOP. At first he wanted an ipad but then he decided a good laptop, with windows 8 of course, would be better so he could use it for homework as well as gaming. This would put a pretty big dent in my Christmas budget!!I do not charge things for Christmas. I figure if I cannot pay cash for it, I cannot afford it. I started this at about 25 because I did not want to be $40,000 in debt like many in the baby boomer generation. It works well for me because it also helps me prioritize and budget well for the holida