Skip to main content

Santa Cruz in a Day


I convinced some friends of mine to take a mini vacation with me over the weekend. I wanted to stay a night or two but that wasn’t in the cards for them. So, we took a two hour drive to Santa Cruz California. I was reluctant at first because I myself LOVE driving up the night before, having a great dinner, staying in a fabulous hotel and waking up at my leisure in the destination of my choice. So the idea of driving 2 hours up and back in the same day on top of a long day of activities was kind of stressing me out. Oh and the memory of driving up hwy 17 with only two lanes and no shoulder as we approach that one part of the curvy road where the huge tress on each side of us reach up over the top of the cars hold hand and block out all the sun was still haunting me and didn’t help!
I decided to suck it up and be a good sport. So, I invited a good friend to share the drive with me. I am an early bird while he is a night owl so it was perfect. I drove in the morning while he slept in the back seat and on the way back he drove. I pre-bought all day ride passes at Costco, packed some snacks and drinks and picked some fruit off the tree.

The trip was very affordable I only spent $30 on gas, $12 parking, $27 on one all day ride pass and four attraction tickets for Chris (split the cost of Costco pack with my son’s friends mom), $ 22 on food on the boardwalk, and $20 at Safeway the night before. My friend took care of our breakfast, my dinner and a few ride tickets.
Santa Cruz Diner where The Guy ate

Waiting for our food and reading trivial pursuit cards @ table
Chris's surfs up omelette
So for a little over $100 we took a very mini-vacation with good friends, got lots of exercise, watched some adorable sea lions, ate at the Santa Cruz Diner and had a great time!!! Oh and to my surprise and satisfaction, HWY 17 had been widened and cleared so the trip was pleasant and vomit free. I will definitely head back to Santa Cruz very soon!! I just may consider doing another day trip to some other great place before school starts as well. Ideas anyone?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weight Loss Challenge: Week EIGHT UPDATE

For the third week in a row I have maintained my 9 pound weight-loss . This would be great if I only wanted to lose 9 pounds. The good thing here is that my daily activity and food intake are good enough to balance and maintain any additional weight-loss which means I have established some good habits. I am keeping my calories at a reasonable amount and my intake though out the day is pretty balanced. Here are some of my typical breakfast recipes . Natures Path Organic Instant oatmeal with 1 tsp. Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Hot Cocoa= 254 Calories I was not too hungry this morning and when I wanted to eat more a few hours later I had a banana. You could easily add fruit, milk or juice to beef up this breakfast. Shakes and smoothies are a staple in my diet. They are yummy and quick!!! Here are two different recipes I use regularly: 1 cup of Almond Milk 2 scoops Visalus Shake mix (I think any protein powder will do) 1/4 cup Mixed berries (sometimes I do as much...

Weight-Loss Challange: Week TWO update

This week has been rough so I am going to get straight to the point. Here it is the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. The Good: I DID NOT gain weight. I pulled myself together for just enough days this week that I was able to keep off the weight I lost last week. In fact, I lost .6 pounds. I am pretty proud of this because it was a tough week for me. Here is a lunch I packed on one of my good days. The Bad: I logged NO physical activity this week. I also went over my calories on Friday and BIG TIME on Saturday. Saturday I had a baby shower and I totally pigged out on chow mien, drank two cups of yummy ice cream & soda filled punch and still let myself have a cupcake. I went over my calorie intake by 750 that day. It was hard to recover from these two bad days. I felt yucky physically and was mad at myself for being such an oinker. How could I do so awesome the first week then totally blow it? Ughhhhh. The Ugly: I have been stressed out all week. I am counting every nickel and...

An awesome first day of school, FINALLY

This morning was amazing. When I woke up at 6:15 am the shower in the first bathroom was already running. I could hear the sound of water dripping and teeth being brushed in the other bathroom. Chris emerged from the bathroom already dressed his cloths matched and everything. I made breakfast while my other son got himself dressed and ready for the day. This may not seem like a big deal to you but I remember a time when it was just me in the morning literally dragging my little boys into the shower, nagging them to brush their teeth (sometimes pinning them down) and arguing with them about their cloths. You try convincing a 5 year old that while that florescent stripped shirt his Grandma gave him may be his favorite shirt EVER he can't wear it to school. Weather your kids like school are not, the first day can be really stressful for any parent. It can be just a little bit harder when you are the only one trying to do everything. If your still feeling a little over...