I have a love hate relationship with New Year’s Resolutions. The number of pounds I resolve to lose each year seams to increase, not decrease, annually and saving for that BMW I wanted decades ago is no longer appealing to me. I do however LOVE to plan. I love to fill sticky notes, planners and journals with lists, goals, dreams, wants, thoughts, you get the idea. However, I find that there is no longer a common thread in my daily, monthly and yearly plans.
I have always been a planner. Did I mention I LOVE to PLAN! It’s been awhile since I have had a 5 year plan. I am not going to make one today because I feel like my life is in transition, again. Interesting, because career wise I am probably more stable than I ever have been. What’s different? My priorities, I guess! That is why I haven’t created a five year plan in a while. When you don’t care about Money, fancy cars or acquiring “things”, what do you “resolve” to do or plan for? This causes a major problem because I feel a little lost without a “PLAN”. I always had such focus and dedication. I miss having a master plan. I almost always achieved my goals. Now without one? Let’s just say I have been all over the map. I get a lot done but I miss that sense of accomplishment and purpose that comes with crossing something off my list!
So what’s a crazy, detail loving, goal oriented gal to do? You won’t find me making another 5 year plan just yet but I came up with a list of things I “resolve” to do based on what I care most about right now. I want to spend more time with those I love, do more of what I enjoy, prepare my sons for adulthood and keep my body and brain young. This is how I am going to start.
Resolutions for 2012
- Read one book a month
- Volunteer 48 hours this year and encourage my boys to volunteer 20 hours
- Cook one meal a month with my boys
- Date my friends once a month-Not every friend every month but at least one each month
- Join a club/group-something active and social
- Throw TWO great parties JUST BECAUSE!!!
- Spend LESS time with “Negative Nelly’s”
- Pick up and Study my dusty Bible
- SEW more
- Take a class at Community College-I'm thinking a dance class, ceramics (I loved that) or marketing...so much to choose from.
Good bye 2011, Hello 2012. I look forward to making this year-the year I turn 35- my best YET!!