Skip to main content

The Greatest Campout EVER in the “most miserable city in America”.

My four year old niece has wanted to go camping for several months now. On a recent visit to her home she said to me, “Aunt Jenny, have you ever been camping? I want to go camping but I don’t think my Dad will take me.” She is probably right since my brother hates camping!!! If I thought this would be like the time she said, “Aunt Jenny, I don’t think I am going to get a Christmas tree. My parents hate trees. They are messy,” I would not have offered to take her camping. She did get the Christmas tree of course, in case you were wondering.

I am not sure what I was thinking. I really didn’t have the time to plan a camping trip. I have not yet reached my one year anniversary at my new job and all the vacation time I have accumulated thus far have been used on doctors’ visits, errands, naps and small day/weekend trips with my sons. I also had to take into consideration the fact that my niece can be quite the “scaredy cat” at times, like my sister ‘stick-in-the-mud”. It is very possible that we would have driven several hours only to have to return because there were too many bugs. So we had a campout in the backyard here in STOCKTON. You know Stockton; it’s that city that keeps making, I mean topping, that dang Forbes list of America’s most miserable cities.
 According to my niece, it was the, “GRAETEST CAMPOUT EVER” in the “Best camp spot in the WORLD”. Here are some of the things we did.
                                                   
                                                      
Set-up camp

                                          
                                            
Fought off a “wild bear”
Took a Night-time “hike”-Found some crawdads
                            


Made smore’s by the campfire

                                            
                                        
Told some scary stories in the dark

                            
Took a morning “hike” to Marina with Aunt Nezzie

                                           
Made a morning campfire

   Took an afternoon “hike” to the “pond”

                                Spent the rest of the afternoon swimming!!!
I had such a great weekend that I am seriously considering doing another “special trip” at home. I wonder what other great adventures we can have right here at home!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weight Loss Challenge: Week EIGHT UPDATE

For the third week in a row I have maintained my 9 pound weight-loss . This would be great if I only wanted to lose 9 pounds. The good thing here is that my daily activity and food intake are good enough to balance and maintain any additional weight-loss which means I have established some good habits. I am keeping my calories at a reasonable amount and my intake though out the day is pretty balanced. Here are some of my typical breakfast recipes . Natures Path Organic Instant oatmeal with 1 tsp. Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Hot Cocoa= 254 Calories I was not too hungry this morning and when I wanted to eat more a few hours later I had a banana. You could easily add fruit, milk or juice to beef up this breakfast. Shakes and smoothies are a staple in my diet. They are yummy and quick!!! Here are two different recipes I use regularly: 1 cup of Almond Milk 2 scoops Visalus Shake mix (I think any protein powder will do) 1/4 cup Mixed berries (sometimes I do as much...

Weight-Loss Challange: Week TWO update

This week has been rough so I am going to get straight to the point. Here it is the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. The Good: I DID NOT gain weight. I pulled myself together for just enough days this week that I was able to keep off the weight I lost last week. In fact, I lost .6 pounds. I am pretty proud of this because it was a tough week for me. Here is a lunch I packed on one of my good days. The Bad: I logged NO physical activity this week. I also went over my calories on Friday and BIG TIME on Saturday. Saturday I had a baby shower and I totally pigged out on chow mien, drank two cups of yummy ice cream & soda filled punch and still let myself have a cupcake. I went over my calorie intake by 750 that day. It was hard to recover from these two bad days. I felt yucky physically and was mad at myself for being such an oinker. How could I do so awesome the first week then totally blow it? Ughhhhh. The Ugly: I have been stressed out all week. I am counting every nickel and...

An awesome first day of school, FINALLY

This morning was amazing. When I woke up at 6:15 am the shower in the first bathroom was already running. I could hear the sound of water dripping and teeth being brushed in the other bathroom. Chris emerged from the bathroom already dressed his cloths matched and everything. I made breakfast while my other son got himself dressed and ready for the day. This may not seem like a big deal to you but I remember a time when it was just me in the morning literally dragging my little boys into the shower, nagging them to brush their teeth (sometimes pinning them down) and arguing with them about their cloths. You try convincing a 5 year old that while that florescent stripped shirt his Grandma gave him may be his favorite shirt EVER he can't wear it to school. Weather your kids like school are not, the first day can be really stressful for any parent. It can be just a little bit harder when you are the only one trying to do everything. If your still feeling a little over...