Skip to main content

The New Me

It’s been a few weeks now since I chopped more than 15 inches off my hair. This is not the first time I cut my hair short but it is definitely the shortest it has ever been. After giving birth to Christopher I felt like I needed a major change. I wanted to be someone else. At that time my hair was down to my bottom and I cut it up to my shoulders. It worked, I felt like a whole new person which was fitting since I was going through a divorce and trying to forge a new path for myself. I did not miss my hair at all. It felt great to get rid of all that excess baggage. Of course, after a few years I went back to my long wavy hair.
Before
This time was very different. This time, I cut my hair to donate it to a good cause. I love my hair and over the years it has been come a big part of my identity.  I have grown attached to my hair and overall look over the years. It took me months to build up the confidence to get in my car and drive to the hair salon even though I have been planning on doing this for almost a year now. I think I was in shock as the hair dresser cut my pony tail because she kept apologizing. She also spent a lot of time showing me how to style my new do. I think she felt sorry for me. I guess all women can appreciate how hard it can be to change your look.  It took a while, but I am finally got use to the new me. I grieved the loss of my hair for a few days before embracing my new hair style. Now I love it! I’m even wearing make-up to match.
The Day of the cut!
                                  Can you see the tears and puffy eyes?

The other day at work, someone came up to my cubicle and said, “Wow, we have a new person working here!!”  Wouldn’t that be nice if you could just cut or color your hair, maybe get a whole new wardrobe and become a “New Person”? Wait you can!! So here is the new me. The mid-thirties me! By the way, when did I become a "30-something"?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weight Loss Challenge: Week EIGHT UPDATE

For the third week in a row I have maintained my 9 pound weight-loss . This would be great if I only wanted to lose 9 pounds. The good thing here is that my daily activity and food intake are good enough to balance and maintain any additional weight-loss which means I have established some good habits. I am keeping my calories at a reasonable amount and my intake though out the day is pretty balanced. Here are some of my typical breakfast recipes . Natures Path Organic Instant oatmeal with 1 tsp. Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Hot Cocoa= 254 Calories I was not too hungry this morning and when I wanted to eat more a few hours later I had a banana. You could easily add fruit, milk or juice to beef up this breakfast. Shakes and smoothies are a staple in my diet. They are yummy and quick!!! Here are two different recipes I use regularly: 1 cup of Almond Milk 2 scoops Visalus Shake mix (I think any protein powder will do) 1/4 cup Mixed berries (sometimes I do as much...

Weight-Loss Challange: Week TWO update

This week has been rough so I am going to get straight to the point. Here it is the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. The Good: I DID NOT gain weight. I pulled myself together for just enough days this week that I was able to keep off the weight I lost last week. In fact, I lost .6 pounds. I am pretty proud of this because it was a tough week for me. Here is a lunch I packed on one of my good days. The Bad: I logged NO physical activity this week. I also went over my calories on Friday and BIG TIME on Saturday. Saturday I had a baby shower and I totally pigged out on chow mien, drank two cups of yummy ice cream & soda filled punch and still let myself have a cupcake. I went over my calorie intake by 750 that day. It was hard to recover from these two bad days. I felt yucky physically and was mad at myself for being such an oinker. How could I do so awesome the first week then totally blow it? Ughhhhh. The Ugly: I have been stressed out all week. I am counting every nickel and...

An awesome first day of school, FINALLY

This morning was amazing. When I woke up at 6:15 am the shower in the first bathroom was already running. I could hear the sound of water dripping and teeth being brushed in the other bathroom. Chris emerged from the bathroom already dressed his cloths matched and everything. I made breakfast while my other son got himself dressed and ready for the day. This may not seem like a big deal to you but I remember a time when it was just me in the morning literally dragging my little boys into the shower, nagging them to brush their teeth (sometimes pinning them down) and arguing with them about their cloths. You try convincing a 5 year old that while that florescent stripped shirt his Grandma gave him may be his favorite shirt EVER he can't wear it to school. Weather your kids like school are not, the first day can be really stressful for any parent. It can be just a little bit harder when you are the only one trying to do everything. If your still feeling a little over...