Skip to main content

Last weekend before Back to School

I cannot believe another year has passed. This year Greg is an 11th grader and Chris a 10th grader. It feels like just yesterday that I dropped Greg off at kindergarten and Chris at pre-school (Nana’s house).



This weekend I passed up the opportunity to go to Nevada with my parents. They have friends who have a great place in the mountains with lots of land, quads and access to a beautiful lake. Hmm, I am starting to re-think my decision.
School starts on Wednesday and I did not want to be coming home late Sunday night stressing out about doing laundry, getting school supplies, cleaning backpacks and everything else that needs to happen in preparation of the first day of school. I work full time so the weekends are my only chance to get all this stuff done.
It turns out the boys just wanted to hang out with me and “just me” all weekend anyways so luckily I made the right decision.

Our weekend has been great. Here is what we have done so far:
Friday Night:
BBQ’d  

Went to the movies and took my niece to see Diary of a Wimpy Kid Dog days
Saturday:    
Cooked breakfast together

Video Chat with Aunt Nezzie who recently moved to Hawaii 
Boys did whatever they wanted while I snuck away with my cousin to taste of San Joaquin  
Watched another boring documentary as a family (Do I have the only teenage boys in the world that watch this kind of stuff?)
Dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings- Yum
Sunday:      
Had breakfast together again
Took inventory of our back to school supplies as a family. Made a shopping list.

Project time: we all work on something individually during the same block of time. Watching TV does not count. I am blogging, Greg is stretching and reading, Chris is writing.

Wasted an hour watching "Call me maybe" parody videos.

Later we will go shopping for back to school stuff and maybe hit the park or our community pool. I am always up for a swim.

My parent’s friends place will always be there and we have an open invitation to visit. So, after we are settled into our school year routine maybe we will hit the road and make our way to Nevada.

One thing I have learned over the past 14 years I have been single parenting is that when I over extend myself it not only stresses me out but it stresses the kids out too. What good is it if your kids look back on your last family vacation or weekend trip and say, “that sucked I never want to do that again.”

The truth is the boys and I have a great time no matter where we are anyways. Every weekend is like a vacation to us J


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three is Perfect for ME!!!

Really it is!!! You would think that after 14 years of raising two sons by myself people would stop asking me things like; "Are you EVER going to get remarried?" "Don't you want more kids?" "Don't you get lonely?" "Don't you want to "you know" again?' " You’re pretty cute, nice, fun insert other complementary words here, why are you still single?" I think this last one may be implying that there must be something WRONG with me but I will assume people just think I am so awesome that they are amazed I haven't been snatched up. I could go on forever with the enormous list of questions people ask me, all relating to my choice to be single. Don't get me wrong, I am finally open to the idea of dating someone great IF that is what God has in store for me but he would have to be pretty freaking amazing!!!! Why? Because I LOVE my little family of three.  God blessed me with two amazi

Weight Loss Challenge: Week EIGHT UPDATE

For the third week in a row I have maintained my 9 pound weight-loss . This would be great if I only wanted to lose 9 pounds. The good thing here is that my daily activity and food intake are good enough to balance and maintain any additional weight-loss which means I have established some good habits. I am keeping my calories at a reasonable amount and my intake though out the day is pretty balanced. Here are some of my typical breakfast recipes . Natures Path Organic Instant oatmeal with 1 tsp. Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Hot Cocoa= 254 Calories I was not too hungry this morning and when I wanted to eat more a few hours later I had a banana. You could easily add fruit, milk or juice to beef up this breakfast. Shakes and smoothies are a staple in my diet. They are yummy and quick!!! Here are two different recipes I use regularly: 1 cup of Almond Milk 2 scoops Visalus Shake mix (I think any protein powder will do) 1/4 cup Mixed berries (sometimes I do as much

Weight-Loss Challenge: Week One Update

The first week of my weight-loss challenge is over! I weighed in this morning and lost a total of 4.2 lbs. I am loving the myfitnesspal app. At first I was not so sure about it because I have used other apps with way more options but I didn’t really use them consistently. This is probably because they had so many options. Myfitness pal is simple to use in every way. I logged in daily and having the phone app is really helpful. I ALWAYS have my phone on me which means no writing things down then having to remember to add it all up later. Every day was different. Some days it was easy to stay within my calorie limit and others it was really hard! Knowing that someone was going to see how I did each day gave me that little extra incentive to stay on track. There were a few days where I logged my food and was in the red. So, I exercised until I was back in the green.   This helped me balance out my day but I still felt kind of crappy and bloated after making poor food choices. Th