Skip to main content

Saving My Boys from a Life of Top Ramen

Cooking is something I have always loved to do with my boys. When they were still in diapers and using two word sentences, they would jump up on a chair the second they saw me start to make something in the kitchen. In fact they didn't even have to see me, they could hear the fridge or kitchen drawers open from the other room and they would come running. We baked cookies, brownies, cakes and even made some real food sometimes.

These days I'd have to pass out and knock down several dishes along the way before they'd notice that I was even in the kitchen. This should upset me, but it doesn't. How could they possibly hear me over the Xbox, Wii, TV and the loud rock/rap music (the type of music depends on which kid we are talking about) blasting in their ears. Oh wait I forgot about YouTube, texting, girls and the spare teenage boys, I did not give birth too but I chauffer around and feed, hanging out in the living room. With so much going on the boys don't even think about "What's for dinner" until their stomachs are growling and their mouth salivating. By this time of course dinner is already on the way.

All of this has me thinking. It won't be long before they are off to college and living on their own. At some point they will surly get tired of cafeteria food and top ramen. And what about when college is over and that great college food plan is no longer available to them? Neither of my boys is in a hurry to get girlfriends and therefore will likely have a few years of single manhood before they have someone to cook and clean for them. Oh wait, I forgot, many young women don't know how to cook either. So it's possible they will have an eternity of fending for themselves.

This has lead to me reinstating an old cooking tradition we had that ended somewhere between the "octopus salad" fiasco and puberty. We took turns picking recipes and cooked together as a family. So, as you may have read in my resolution post, I have decided that this year I will get the boys more involved in food preparation. We will cook together as a family once a month. Actually the boys will cook as I will supervise and document this adventure.

Chris cutting oranges many years ago :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weight Loss Challenge: Week EIGHT UPDATE

For the third week in a row I have maintained my 9 pound weight-loss . This would be great if I only wanted to lose 9 pounds. The good thing here is that my daily activity and food intake are good enough to balance and maintain any additional weight-loss which means I have established some good habits. I am keeping my calories at a reasonable amount and my intake though out the day is pretty balanced. Here are some of my typical breakfast recipes . Natures Path Organic Instant oatmeal with 1 tsp. Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Hot Cocoa= 254 Calories I was not too hungry this morning and when I wanted to eat more a few hours later I had a banana. You could easily add fruit, milk or juice to beef up this breakfast. Shakes and smoothies are a staple in my diet. They are yummy and quick!!! Here are two different recipes I use regularly: 1 cup of Almond Milk 2 scoops Visalus Shake mix (I think any protein powder will do) 1/4 cup Mixed berries (sometimes I do as much...

Weight-Loss Challange: Week TWO update

This week has been rough so I am going to get straight to the point. Here it is the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. The Good: I DID NOT gain weight. I pulled myself together for just enough days this week that I was able to keep off the weight I lost last week. In fact, I lost .6 pounds. I am pretty proud of this because it was a tough week for me. Here is a lunch I packed on one of my good days. The Bad: I logged NO physical activity this week. I also went over my calories on Friday and BIG TIME on Saturday. Saturday I had a baby shower and I totally pigged out on chow mien, drank two cups of yummy ice cream & soda filled punch and still let myself have a cupcake. I went over my calorie intake by 750 that day. It was hard to recover from these two bad days. I felt yucky physically and was mad at myself for being such an oinker. How could I do so awesome the first week then totally blow it? Ughhhhh. The Ugly: I have been stressed out all week. I am counting every nickel and...

An awesome first day of school, FINALLY

This morning was amazing. When I woke up at 6:15 am the shower in the first bathroom was already running. I could hear the sound of water dripping and teeth being brushed in the other bathroom. Chris emerged from the bathroom already dressed his cloths matched and everything. I made breakfast while my other son got himself dressed and ready for the day. This may not seem like a big deal to you but I remember a time when it was just me in the morning literally dragging my little boys into the shower, nagging them to brush their teeth (sometimes pinning them down) and arguing with them about their cloths. You try convincing a 5 year old that while that florescent stripped shirt his Grandma gave him may be his favorite shirt EVER he can't wear it to school. Weather your kids like school are not, the first day can be really stressful for any parent. It can be just a little bit harder when you are the only one trying to do everything. If your still feeling a little over...